Staying Committed to Health During the Holidays
Staying committed to your health during the holidays can be challenging. Here are some tips we at Specialized Physical Therapy wanted to share as we head into the Holiday season. Maybe you currently have a health, fitness related plan, or perhaps you’re looking to start one now. We hope that you find these tips useful.
- 1. Structure a plan: Is it fitness related? Healthy eating? Incorporating strength training? For fitness follow the FITT principle. Frequency: How often will you exercise? Intensity: How hard/what type of effort will you use during exercise? Time: What will be the duration of each session? Type: What type of exercise will you perform?
- 2. Setting Goals: Goals are a huge component to any successful plan. Make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T. Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. Practice the process goals that will lead you to achieving the outcome goal. Write them down and have them in place where you will see them frequently. Enforce that goal. What will you do for achieving your goal? What happens if you don’t achieve your goal? We believe you’re an achiever!
- 3. Online Tracking: One of the best free apps for online tracking of activity and calorie consumption is MyFitnessPal. It allows you to set your daily metabolic needs based on your activity level. You can track what you eat (it even breaks down the nutrients!) and what activity you perform on a daily basis. It also provides charts to view your progress. Check it out!
- 4. Follow health related social media pages: There are many credible sources online. Follow nationally recognized organizations and you will be sure to find some great, safe tips that will help you stay motivated. Also seek out blogs that offer healthy recipes. We know taste is important. Many will offer lower fat and sugar, reduced sodium and cholesterol recipes that are just as tasty!
- 5. Remember to enjoy in moderation: Still enjoy those foods you love just keep it to moderation and you’ll be safe in maintaining your goals. A safe bet is sticking to serving sizes and paying attention to the food labels.
- 6. Exercise with your family: More than likely someone in your family is following an exercise program. Hang out with them and see what they enjoy. It may be a new, fun and rewarding experience for you!
- 7. Find local events: There are typically several fitness events happening around the holidays! Bundle up and enjoy the local turkey trot or santa shuffle!
Thank you for reading our blog! We are looking forward to a wonderful 2016!