Staying committed to your wellness goals can be very challenging but the benefits are very rewarding! Here are some tips we at Specialized Physical Therapy wanted to share as we head into the new year. Maybe you currently have a health, fitness related plan, or perhaps you’re looking to start one now. We hope that you find these tips useful.
1. Structure a plan: Is it fitness related? Eating a balanced diet? Incorporating strength training or a flexibility/yoga regimen? For fitness follow the FITT principle.
Frequency: How often will you exercise?
Intensity: How hard/what type of effort will you use during exercise?
Time: What will be the duration of each session?
Type: What type of exercise will you perform?
- CDC recommendation: For substantial health benefits, adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) a week of moderate-intensity, or 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalence combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity.
2. Setting Goals: Goals are a huge component to any successful plan. Make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T. Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. Practice the process goals that will lead you to achieving the outcome goal. Write them down and have them in place where you will see them frequently. Enforce that goal. What will you do for achieving your goal? What happens if you don’t achieve your goal? However, don’t let one set back interfere with your focus. Determine the cause of your set back, how you can correct it, and keeping aiming for the bigger picture. We believe you’re an achiever!
3. Online Tracking: One of the best free apps for online tracking of activity and calorie consumption is MyFitnessPal . It allows you to set your daily metabolic needs based on your activity level. You can track what you eat (it even breaks down the nutrients!) and what activity you perform on a daily basis. It also provides charts to view your progress. A fun fitness tracking app is Strava. The base app is free and it allows you to track workouts, connect with friends, and discover walking, running, or cycling routes all while tracking your progress. Check it out!
4. Follow health related social media pages: There are many credible sources online. Follow nationally recognized organizations and you will be sure to find some great, safe tips that will help you stay motivated. Also seek out blogs that offer healthy recipes. We know taste is important. Many will offer lower fat and sugar, reduced sodium and cholesterol recipes that are just as tasty!
5. Remember to enjoy in moderation: Still enjoy those foods you love just keep it to moderation and you’ll be safe in maintaining your goals. A safe bet is sticking to serving sizes and paying attention to the food labels.
6. Exercise with your friends: More than likely someone you know is contemplating making a lifestyle change. Reach out to your friends and family. Perhaps you could work on a similar goal. Sharing stories, being held accountable, and having a motivating partner goes a long ways!
7. Find local events: There are several fitness events happening in the Omaha area. Train to walk or run a 5K, participate in trail run or a triathlon, join a baseball, softball, or basketball league, participate in a swim meet, the opportunities are endless!
Thank you for reading our blog! We are looking forward to a wonderful 2020 and hope you achieve your goals!